Saturday, January 3, 2009

TESTIMONY - BLEST Mailbox

WHY I'M BLESSED - Blessed Mailbox ★ blestmagazine.com
04.07.01

HIGHLY FAVORED
CANCER SURVIVOR


I’m not a celebrity. I don’t have wealth or fame, but I am highly blessed and favored by God. I truly believe that there is nothing that I can’t ask God for and He won’t deliver it to me.

I am a seven year breast cancer survivor...
7 means completion.


I truly believe that God has healed my body; because He says in His word that by His stripes I am healed.

While most people began the new millenium worrrying if computers would crash or if the water supply would dry up, I was worrying whether or not I had cancer. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in February of 2000 at the age of 33. This was a very lonely time for me; even though I had lots of people who loved me. I began to isolate myself so people would not see just how vulnerable I was. Everyone always considered me to be this well put together woman who always had it together, so I figured I would oblige everyone by showing them that I was okay, but I was scared to death. After my surgery (lumpectomy), this whole “cancer” thing just seemed surreal. Shortly afterwards, reality began to set in when I began to lose my hair. I realized then that I had a terminal illness and could possibly die. WOW!!! I went through so many emotions. I was angry; how could God let this happen? I was confused; what had I done to deserve this? I was afraid; who would love my children? I was worried; how long did I have to live? My confidence had been shattered; would my husband still find me attractive after losing my hair? What could I have done differently to avoid this? My body and my mind were under attack. But I know that what the devil meant for bad, God meant it for good. After six months of chemotherapy, came 8 weeks of radiation. The radiation caused the skin on my breast to burn and literally summeroff. During this time, I sought after God. I had tried to do everything in my own stubborn power, but realized it was not working. God truly “kept” me thoughout this time in my life. It was only by the grace of God that I made it through this ordeal.

I managed to coach my daughter’s 5th grade cheerleading squad and attend all of my son’s 6th grade practices and football games. I continued to work full time and attend church regularly, but I had no idea of what God could really do. I prayed that God would keep me here long enough to see my children graduate. God heard my prayers. I’m now praying that God will keep me here until my kids are married and have kids of their own. When I finally came out with my hands up and surrendered my life to God, many things became clear to me. As the song goes “I once was lost, but now I’m found, was blind but now I see.” The entire time I thought I was alone, God never left me. From day one, God sent compassionate doctors and nurses. What I came to realize was that the whole time I was trying to lean on my own understanding, I should have been leaning on God. God truly “kept” me. I thank God that I was able to remain active, and I was never sick throughout this ordeal. My children felt safe and secure. No income was lost and I learned to appreciate the little things in life; like the sunshine, children’s laughter, my husband’s smile, a blossoming flower. I thank God for the cancer because had I not gone through this; I would not be the person I am today. My mind has been renewed and my health has been restored. God has not only healed my body, but also my mind. I am a more compassionate and sympathetic person. God has taken my fragile and woulded heart and filled it with unconditional love. God continues to be merciful and gracious towards me, not because I’ve been so good, but because that’s the type of God He is. When I cried out to Him, He looked beyond my faults and saw my needs. His word is so true and this experience taught me that I can cast all my cares on Him and He wil see me through. God is a living God. I know him personally as a Healer, Deliverer, Redeemer, Provider, Comforter, Mind Regulator, Strong Tower, Savior and most of all my friend. After God showed me that He would do exceedingly and abundantly above all that I could ask, I began to truly trust Him with every aspect of my life. All the glory goes to God!! God has dried my tears and cast my sorrows into the sea. I am a living witness that you can have a little piece of heaven right here on earth. God will draw near to you when you draw near to Him. Seek Him first and his righteousness and everything else will be added. He will supply all your needs if you ask Him. He will stick closer than a brother. He will listen when no one else will and He will understand when no one seems to understand. Cast ALL your cares on Him and He will see you through. Be still and know that He is God. He will give you peace that surpasses all understanding and will fill your heart with joy. ■

— calling by:
mildred graham

No comments:

Post a Comment